ella

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Who knew?!!!

Now why didn't anyone ever tell me veggies were so yummy?

Ok, so many people did... but as a child I thought they tasted so nasty I swore I would never eat them as an adult. I liked peas and green beans and corn (on the cob is the best!) and raw carrots and broccoli and a few others but not much. Veggies needed to be disguised! Cream of mushroom soup and cheese do wonders for veggies. :) and potatoes had to be mashed or fried.
I have, over the years, come to like tomato and lettuce on my hamburgers and sandwiches. I like stir fried veggies and steamed snow peas. I love roasted or grilled asparagus! Ok, so veggies aren't the evil piles of nastiness on my plate between me and my ice-cream anymore.
I have a really good friend, Sara, who has been telling me the wonders of zucchini for years now. So I tried it. I diced it and roasted it. Yummy! It didn't even need a seasoning. Since I was being brave I decided to try a trio of different mushrooms as well. Portabellas, button and baby bellas. I was going to get the shiitaki mushrooms too but they looked like they had a dusting of white powdery mold growing on them... haha mold growing mold :) I think they might have to spend some more time growing on me...an acquired taste I think... a little too slimy for me. And I ate them with chicken... I think mushrooms should be eaten with beef. Beef has a stronger flavor and mushrooms are too strong for chicken. Maybe I should have made a sauce to go with it... but I just ate the mushrooms straight. Maybe that's why...
Anyway, I've learned my lesson. Veggies are ok. And sometimes yummy. Lucky me! I have a new food friend. Welcome to my life Zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment